My favourite fictional books about witches

  • Stardust by Neil Gaiman
  • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
  • Wicked by Gregory Maguire
  • The mortal instruments and the infernal devices by Cassandra Clare
  • Harry potter series by J.K. Rowling

Saturday 5 April 2014

Interview with a witch...

I have interviewed 3 witches and they all spoke about their experiences of being a witch and how they have been subject to prejudices.

Do you feel accepted by society as a witch? 
"To some I do and some I don't. I believe the ones that do accept me are more than likely scared of me. Which I don't like. I am just like anyone else, not to be feared. The fear of witches in the past brought about the Burning Times. I know history will never repeat itself because the witches of today will not let it happen. I do wish people would be more accepting than scared of myself and others. Take time to learn the truth and their fear would disappear."

-This is very truthful of witch craft because it is very misunderstood, of course as will every thing there is the bad/evil side to it but it also had a good and pure side and is very interesting to a lot of people.

 Have you experienced prejudice for being a witch? 
"Yes, I even experience prejudice in my own family. At one time from my own daughter. She wasn't familiar with what a witch and her religion was truthfully all about. She would tell me straight to my face, "I was going to hell." I would laugh it off and tell her, my religion didn't believe in hell. She finally grew up enough, she got interested in her mother's religion. She has read the blog I write daily and now doesn't tell me I am going to hell. My son grew up thinking momma being a witch was cool. Until he married into a bunch of holier than thou Baptists. All of them are extremely prejudice against me, I would even go so far as to say hate me. I don't have much contact with him anymore. I blame the people he married into and my son, himself. He has three small children and they use them to keep him away from me. 

Outside in the real world, I haven't experienced much prejudice at all. There seems like there are more of us coming out of the broom closet each day. I always wear my pentagram and when they see it, it is like a relief to see another one of their kind. They flock to me. The general population of witches are growing and they are beginning to see there is nothing to really fear.
 
Now on the internet, that is a different story. It seems like individuals tend to be more aggressive when they can hide behind a computer. I have experience quite a bit of prejudice on the net. I have a favorite saying for those people and then they generally hush, "You can't combat ignorance!" Works every time."
 
- The first time I read this is was close to tears, its such a sad story and such a strong example of how misunderstanding a lifestyle or not talking the time to understand it can destroy a persons life, everyone deserves to be happy and no one should be treated this way. 
 
 What is your reason for being a witch? 
"I am a Hereditary Witch. That is a witch who has come from a long line of witches. Growing up, I was taught both Witchcraft and the Baptist religion. I was left the option to which Path I would take. I took Witchcraft. The reason I stayed a Witch is because I have felt and experienced my Goddess at work. I know She is alive. She talks to me, She guides me daily and I can actually feel Her Presence with me. I can't say I have ever experience anything like it before. So I know Witchcraft is real. I know the Goddess is real. I have been given proof of that. The Goddess has done things for me that no other Gods of other religions ever have. She showed me the Path I was to take. I took it and all I have to do is put any problems in Her hands. I know She will provide for me and I have nothing to worry about as long as I follow Her and continue to spread Her message."
 
- This answer is an example of the good side of witchcraft and how it can be a guide for someones life to finding a path and having a life that is essentially worth living. It has got to both worth it if she can withstand all that prejudice from her own family and still follow her Goddess.
 
These were some of the questions that I asked one of the witches and obviously they were very truthful and moving answers. And a great example of a 'good' witch that should be accepted by society as she has not done anything to hurt anyone with her witch craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment